Sunday, November 21, 2010

Snow

This morning our world was covered with close to a foot of fresh snow.  It made me a little blue, thinking of the long winter ahead.  I found myself almost in tears several times, with homesickness for my warm home in Brea, California (where it NEVER snows).  That homesickness matured into missing my house, my bed, my kitchen.  I slumped further as I missed my children and grandchildren and friends.  Before I reached the point of driving off an icy cliff in despair, I decided I'd better find a way to appreciate winter snows.  I tried looking at it a different way.  Instead of cold, slippery, slushy miserable stuff that makes it hard to walk and drive, and dangerous to spend time out of doors, I will try to find out why some people love the stuff so much.
1.  Snow really is beautiful.  When the snow falls on the bare trees, it turns them from ugly dead looking things into beautiful works of art: Like delicate hand tatted lace.
2.  Snow is bright.  Unlike a cloudy raining day, a snowy day is bright.  The snow magnifies and reflects whatever light there is and gives the appearance of brightness even when the sun doesn't shine.
3.  Snow is fun.  After church today there was a happy group of young people sledding down my mother's hill, laughing and playing in the cold, really enjoying the snow.
OK.  So that is only three reasons, but it is a start.  I will have many more opportunities during the next 4 months to find more.

No comments:

Post a Comment