Sunday, August 1, 2010

Rescue


I had a couple of adventures on horseback during the past 2 weeks. The first happened when I took my brother Toby out for a ride. I put him on David's horse Pancho and I rode Jerusha's horse Norman. Norman is a sweet and reliable mount who would be considered safe for almost any rider. At one point in the ride Toby decided to go on ahead and I attempted to turn back. Norman objected to the separation from his herd and started to buck. Now I've been on a lot of horses, many misbehaving in many ways, but I've never ridden a bucking horse. This was genuine rodeo style bucking, head down and hind feet in the air. It didn't take me long to realize why the rodeo cowboys get big bucks for this and that I was no rodeo cowboy. I decided to stop trying to correct Norman in hopes that he would relax, but without the bit he just took off, still bucking. I knew I couldn't sit this and, just in time, a soft grassy hill sped up on the left. I landed gently on the hill, got up quickly, grateful for my rescue from what could have been a dangerous situation. Norman and I both survived to ride another day.
Thursday I went riding with my friend Debbie and her sister Sandy. This time the horses were hot and tired before we left the barn. One minute out we were confronted by what could only be described as a herd of children (about 50, average age maybe 12), jogging down the main horse path to our trails. One look at this noisy, erratic mob coming towards us and I knew we were in trouble. Horses are basically prey animals and at their core, reactive. We train them to think, to obey, to be desensitized to most of the things they might encounter on the trail, but I knew these horses had never seen anything like this. To them it must have looked like a growling, prowling herd of mountain lions coming to eat them. The reactive brain took over. Each of us felt our mounts tense and Norman spun on his heels and ran for all he was worth in the other direction. Herd mentality took over and the other two horses followed. This was no gentle canter down the lane. These were three horses racing for their lives at top speed, in spite of the pleadings of their riders. My horse, being the fastest among them quickly overtook the other too. With a little distance we were able to remind them of their training again and the reasonable side of their brains came back. We had an exciting ride, but everyone stayed on and no one was any worse for it.
These two experiences reminded me why I pray for protection every single ride, and every day. The world is a dangerous place, and every day I am delivered, rescued even, in ways big and small, by the Lord.
Protection from physical danger is the least of these rescues. There are worse dangers to our souls than getting bucked off a horse. The world offers countless evils that would bruise and even destroy our Spiritual natures. We need to protect ourselves and our loved ones, and be constantly prayerful as we seek deliverance from soul-destroying influences.
We also have the opportunity to rescue others along the way. Many ride through this life unaware of the dangers around them. We can be a beacon, a lifeline, a saving influence to them.
One of the great joys of my current situation is being able to research and do saving ordinances for my family and friends. Every time you go to the temple, every time you share your testimony, every time you offer help to another human being, you are sharing in the great rescue mission that is mortal life.

2 comments:

  1. Norman sounds like a bad horse. Glad to hear everyone was ok. Great blog, we missed you last week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! It think I'm really glad I wasn't on that last ride with you:-{ So glad you are okay after your ride on the buckin' bronco!

    ReplyDelete