Sunday, August 29, 2010

Family reunion

Demke Cowboys out on the range

A few of the Demke/McKenna/Hess kids

I am currently recovering from a "family high."  My niece Jerusha, a champion organizer, pulled together an amazing reunion for the families of Sheldon and Neldon Demke.  Included were all my children and their families, my sister and her husband and all their children (less one on a mission in South America) and families.  All together there were about 48 people.
Tatum and Afton riding with grandma
Slip 'n slide
My grown up children
We occupied a large and lovely lodge on Fish Haven Creek near Bear Lake, Idaho.  This is some of the most spectacular scenery!   It was all I could do to drive safely with so much to look at along the way.  Our time there was well organized with each delicious meal being prepared by a different family.  Activities were planned for all interests and age groups and included games, crafts, slip and slide, feats of strength, daily trips to the lake, and culminated in a sweet and spiritual Sacrament meeting Sunday morning.   At least half the participants were children.  Miraculously, there were no serious injuries, quarrels or tantrums.  The entire time was imbued with the sweetest feelings of love and companionship.  I spent a few sad moments regretting that Sheldon wasn't able to be a part of such a gathering, then more and more I started to realize that he was a very real part of our reunion.
The last of my posterity left town yesterday.  Their departure has left a hole in my soul, but it is filled daily with the knowledge that we are united by far more than time and geography.  I am so grateful to be part of an Eternal family.

1 comment:

  1. great blog as always. Glad I was there. Email me some of those photos :-)

    ReplyDelete