Sunday, July 4, 2010

4 July 2010




It is Independence Day. Church today was marked by patriotic testimonies and American hymns of praise for our nation. We had a picnic in a park attended by 50 relations, some close, others distant. I'm not one of those patriotic Americans who thinks America is perfect. I recognize that our nation, like all others has flaws and more importantly is populated by imperfect people. Nevertheless I am mindful that this is an amazing place to live. We have opportunities, because of living in this country, that are beyond the imaginations of most of the world. With those opportunities come great responsibilities. There is a marvelous work going forth on the earth which we, poised as we are here and now, have the duty, obligation, and privilege to participate in. What am I doing with the prosperous circumstances of my life? Who am I blessing? What am I doing to move important work forward? I resolved to ask myself those questions and work harder.
Friday marked the halfway point of our mission. I feel like I just got here and haven't really started doing anything of great worth yet. I am determined to make the next 9 months significant by the contributions we are making, not just by the fun we are having. My light is but a little one, but added to all the others it can shine like God's great sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment