Sunday, April 11, 2010

What a blast!





You've heard me say before that serving this mission is lots of fun. Everyday brings new experiences and new friends. One day this week I had 2 different patrons ask if they could give me a hug as we parted. Such is the nature of my work that I often feel like I have become a part of the family that these people are seeking so earnestly. Needless to say, it is intensely satisfying to be a part of the search and discovery of each of our library patron's long lost family history.
But I have loving family and friends that I had to leave behind in order to serve this mission, and I would be less than honest if I didn't admit to missing them terribly. My homesickness has been greatly diminished by recent visit by 3 of my sons and their families and some good friends from home.
Two weeks ago Andy and Jenny and their adorable son Cohen came for a weekend visit. It was a warm and wonderful time. We went for a wild ride on the horses, played and visited and caught up on the comings and goings of their family during the past few months. Cohen has grown so much and looks more like a kid than a baby now.
A week later Christian and Susie and their 4 wonderful kids came. They had been on a little camping trip and made the extra effort to include Salt Lake City in their loop. We were able to visit Temple Square, watch conference together, build snowmen, and celebrate an early Easter before they had to return to their busy lives.
This weekend Daniel and Kathryn and their precious little ones came calling. Included in this group was tiny newborn Derby who we met for the first time. In addition to much needed hair care, we were able to enjoy a temple session together and participate in the party of the century, a toy story themed birthday party celebrating David's 24th.
Tonight we went to dine with our dear friends the Washington family (Eric's famous ribs were the main course) and old friends the Miller family. Dominic is entering BYU in the fall and they came to look over the campus and meet with counselors.
Each visit, each embrace, each conversation with friends and family gave me much needed fuel for the year ahead as we continue in our mission service. I wouldn't trade our missionary experience for anything, but I'm so grateful for the tender mercies that enable us to stay connected to the people we love even while we are away.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely blog. Great for Dominic to go to BYU. Go cougs. I look forward to seeing pix from the party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the picture of grandma and pacy with Andy is one of the best I have ever seen of the two of them. Thanks for sharing all of your visits. We wish we could see our grandkids that often. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to Dominic and his family. What an accomplishment. You look BEAUTIFUL, Mom. Missing you...

    ReplyDelete