Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Toy Story Birthday Party








David recently turned 24 and you may have caught the allusion, in a previous blog, to the party his cousin Jerusha threw for him. David has always been a real toy story fan, but with the announcement of Toy Story 3 to be released later this year, he has been a little obsessed. All he wanted for his birthday was a Woody costume. He even created some very detailed drawings so I would get it right. (Just so you know, I once made a perfectly wonderful "Prince Eric at the wedding" costume at his request and had to start over because the number of buttons was wrong)
Anyway, I got to looking online at Woody costumes, and found nothing even close to fitting my wannabe Woody. Instead I made a trip to a couple of local thrift stores to find the raw materials and then got creative with markers, scissors, needle and thread. I had California relations bring bits and pieces from home and eventually we had a passable ensemble.
Well, Jerusha got wind of David's current obsession and volunteered to give him a party with the beloved Toy Story theme. Jerusha is a champion party giver. Her parties are amazing from start to finish, decor, entertainment, food, all amazing. This party was held in my mother's incredibly beautiful back yard, made available by the warmer weather and melted snow of the past 2 weeks.
Visitors were welcomed to the party through a western "arch" proclaiming "David's Roundup." Tables were set up with checked table cloths and decorated with toys (slinky dog, Mr and Mrs potato head, Buzz Light Year, etc.) There were signs everywhere, directing guests to the toy story activity of their choice. The shooting range was pretty popular with sheriff's badges and western bandanas for successful shooters. Sam brought "Bullseye" aka Norman for guests to ride. There was a pin the face on Mr. Potato head game, a pinata that looked like one of those funny 3 eyed green squeak toys, a giant bounce house, a cotton candy machine and popcorn machine, tons of good food and a cake decorated with little toy story characters. Each young guest got a toy story bucket full of fun stuff to take home with them. In addition to this, Buzz Light Year himself made an appearance. David was so happy. He had invited people from work and a bunch of local relatives so it was a fun, big group.
Early the next morning, after the gifts were opened and the cake consumed and the mess cleared away, David woke me up with a sad expression on his face. "What's wrong," I asked, fearing he was ill again. "It's over," he replied, "My birthday is over." The down side of so much fun is that it ends, but oh, the memories

4 comments:

  1. Liz had shown me some pictures and it looked so fun. You are such a nice mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me feel better today. I'm bummed we missed it. Maybe next year...
    Those costumes are fantastic! You are amazing Becky. David and costume stories are always my favorites. I love his attention to detail. ALthough for you I'm sure, it can be a little exasberating.
    That picture of Daniel in the Buzz Light Year suit is too funny and again cheered me up. I can just hear David telling you- it's over..
    That's how I feel every year after my birthday. A year is such a long time... Give David a big kiss and snuggle for me.
    Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that makes me want to give David a big hug... Its ok buddy. You will have another birthday next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, MY! What a party! Wish we were there!

    ReplyDelete