Sunday, February 28, 2010

So long Sandy


My mentor went home this week. I was assigned to Sandy Lewis when I first came to the family search zone back in October. Sandy is a remarkable lady to whom I owe so much thanks. She is from Colorado and came to the family history mission 2 years ago, shortly after the death of her husband. She doesn't look how you'd expect a family history genius to appear, but that is exactly what she is. When I came to the zone I was feeling so totally overwhelmed by my first 2 weeks of training, that I was tempted to give up and plead for a job greeting visitors to the Joseph Smith Building. There was so much information and I had forgotten most of it almost immediately. Sandy had me shadow her for a few days. I was amazed to watch her work with the patrons. She was friendly and confident. Some of the patrons were difficult, but she was unflappable. She made me a simple list of things I could do to help most of our patrons. She demonstrated the steps and demystified the process. She gave me the tools to do what needed to be done, and gave me permission to not know everything. With her encouragement I began to help patrons on my own, knowing she was nearby if I got in over my head.
Thank you Sandy Lewis for being my mentor. Thanks for sharing your sweet spirit with me and making my transition to the mission so smooth. Thanks for being my friend. I will miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment