Sunday, January 17, 2010

New Family Search

Years ago, faced with the problem of tremendous duplication in family history and temple work, President Hinkley got together some of the best computer minds to create a program to reduce and eventually eliminate duplication. The result of their labors is New Family Search. Almost everyday in the family history library I am called upon to help someone who comes in frustrated or confused by this program. Being new to it myself I am sometimes challenged to answer all their questions and help them solve their problem. What I am discovering is that even though some people are having trouble with it, New Family Search is really wonderfully inspired, albeit a work in progress.
I don't pretend to understand why family history is so important. I just know that it is. I don't know why we aren't just given all the information we need to redeem our dead. Why does it have to be so hard? I am lazy by nature and I'm pretty sure I would never thought of a plan that required so much effort, but I'm equally glad I'm not in charge.
So, here is my point and my testimony. The Lord wants us to do this stuff. He surely could do it himself, but we wouldn't learn much from that. So like a parent teaching a wobbly toddler to walk, He patiently gives us tools and makes us use our minds and bodies, and a lot of faith, knowing that we need the experience that will help us someday be like Him.
When you are given an opportunity to learn about New Family Search, don't be reluctant or afraid. Be grateful for this amazing tool that will help us to be involved in this great and important work.

2 comments:

  1. Boooooooring. JK. Why no pictures? Glad you are back from your break from Blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too, am glad President Hinckley was inspired! And I'm happy to say that I feel my family history "season" coming on very soon :)

    Becky & David: we love you & are grateful for your faith & example.

    ReplyDelete