Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I'll be Wearing Ribbons in my Hair

Mrs. Clause (not drab)
You may have read a recent news release from the church noting the changes in dress and grooming requirements for sister missionaries.  I did, with some interest, since I am one.  It seems that the frumpy, drab clothing our sister missionaries have been required to wear are turning some prospective investigators away.  The new standards, although still modest, are far more fashionable than the old.  Sisters are encouraged to wear lively colors and patterns.  Skirts can be knee length (instead of mid calf to ankle length).  And here is the best part:  Nylons (stockings, etc.) are optional!  Our mission president got word of this rule change a while ago, but thinking of the hairy, varicose veined, flabby legs of the older sisters, opted not to tell us about it.  Nevertheless, it applies to us so I shocked everyone by announcing the new policy in prayer meeting, and throwing away my pantyhose (although not in prayer meeting).  The ladies all cheered of course, the gents just wondered why we cared.  Additionally, we are encouraged to accessorize.  To all my friends who mocked my flowered and ribboned head bands, dangly earrings, now I'm right in step with the prophet's counsel.  I didn't really bring many fashionable outfits with me, but the drabbest of them are going to DI tomorrow.  In addition to improving the face of missionary work to the world, this new policy has got to improve mission morale.

No comments:

Post a Comment