Sunday, January 30, 2011

A dear missionary sister friend of mine came to me the other day to announce the birth of a new granddaughter.  She showed me pictures of the precious baby, told me how loved she is by her proud parents and grandma and then told me she has Down Syndrome.  She admitted that knowing David and feeling his loving spirit prepared her to receive with joy the news of her granddaughter's condition.
I am sometimes asked by concerned friends or relatives who know parents facing this new challenge.   "What can I tell them?" they ask.  I always reply, "Tell them to rejoice."
Sister Stevens and David
There was a time when I would have made David "normal" if I'd had the power.  I would have taken away the syndrome that makes it so hard for him to do so many of the things we take for granted.  I would have left him without the protection and insulation that a wise and loving Father in Heaven gave him for his journey through this life.  I am now so glad David is who he is.  I'm so glad that I know his special spirit and enjoy his unique gifts.  He is indeed a special child of God.  He has a mission here as surely as anyone else, one only he can do.  I feel honored to know him and to be counted worthy to be his mother.  I don't pretend to know all the whys of David's mission and others like him.  I only know that he is a pretty wonderful person and will likely be light years ahead of me in our next life.  Looking forward to knowing him then too.

No comments:

Post a Comment