Sunday, December 6, 2009

Beauty is as beauty does


I recently posed for a snapshot with a group of my fellow missionaries in front of a beautifully decorated tree in the family history library. The photo was printed and passed around for us to see. I was shocked by the picture. Not because I had spinach in my teeth but because I, in my missionary flats, stood a head taller than all the others in the picture. How had I failed to notice how short all these people are?! I looked closer at the picture and saw such an ordinary bunch of people. These can't be the same people I work with! The people I work with are beautiful, radiant, brilliant (and even tall). It got me to thinking about what makes them beautiful. The picture confirmed to me that physically they don't stand out. It has to be their spirits. Here is a group of people who are united in their desire and commitment to serve, not only God, but each other and the rest of humanity. They seem to me to be completely without selfishness, competitiveness, greed, laziness or any of the other vices so common in the world. What's left is truly beautiful.
Last week David and I went to the festival of trees. This is a huge auditorium full of Christmas trees, wreaths, quilts and other Christmas items, lovingly crafted, decorated, accessorized, and then donated to the festival. They are then sold for outrageous sums and all the proceeds go to the Primary Children's Hospital here in Salt Lake City. I am told they raise over $5 million this way each year. Again, I was in awe of the beauty of these trees. I walked around looking at each one, sure that a Christmas tree had never been so lovely. David was also moved by the spectacle and insisted on buying a tree for our room. After returning home I couldn't help feeling that it had been an almost magical experience. Was it because the trees were really better than any I'd seen elsewhere? I think not. I think it was the combined, selfless efforts of so many people that made this a remarkable night. The love and commitment of so many people, the organizers, the craftsmen, the artists, the purchasers, all working to do something to make the world a better place, filled the event with the true Spirit of Christmas. If Christmas has become too commercial, then this was an event even Christ Himself would applaud.
So I'm learning to see things with my other eyes. The ones that see goodness, not just good looks. The ones that see joy, not just fun. The ones that see purpose beyond the day to day struggle for survival. Merry Christmas to all.

1 comment: