Monday, December 21, 2009

Fog


Funny how the mind works.
We've been surrounded by the trappings of Christmas for over a month now. Lights, music, trees, decorations, and lots of snow. But it didn't really feel like Christmas until two nights ago. We've had a week of warmer weather. Others have been fretting about the possibility of a brown Christmas. Oh no! No snow! As I was diving about Friday night, a fog rolled in and gave the night that funny hazy glow that only a thick fog can achieve. Suddenly I was transported back in time, driving to a Christmas program in Whittier California, circa 1968. The rest of the family was sick and not able to go, but I really wanted to hear the choir and feel the spirit of Christmas. I was a new driver so I crept along the familiar route to the church, inching through pea soup fog. I remember thinking that it was such perfect Christmas weather.
"Then one foggy Christmas Eve," is more than a line from a song to me. It is the weather of the Christmases of my youth.

1 comment:

  1. Fog was the only christmas weather we got in So-Cal. God Bless us everyone.
    -Aaron

    ReplyDelete