Sunday, November 22, 2009

Sacrifice


I was prepared to sacrifice! I was going to grit my teeth and endure 18 months of missionary life because the Lord asked me to. The problem is that I'm having too much fun. I was counting on a little misery so I'd know I was really serving. So far, everything I've been asked to sacrifice is compensated for so greatly that I'm afraid I'm not earning any stars for my crown.
I was prepared to give up my social life. Bruce Willis wasn't answering my calls anyway. While I'm not going to find romance on the mission, I am working with the nicest bunch of people. I've met missionaries from all over the world who regardless of their circumstances (some would make you cry) just want to be of service and be a part of the great Redemptive Work. I meet people everyday who, religious or not, Christian or not, are touched by the Spirit of Elijah as they search out their ancestors.
I was prepared to leave my home. I was blessed to have my son's family be available to take care of my house. I am blessed to be able to live very comfortably in my parent's house, with all the comforts of home.
I was prepared to leave my kids and grandkids. I am blessed to have all the modern conveniences of travel and communication which have shrunk the distance between us. Phone, e-mail, texting, iChats, blogs, etc., keep me close to the ones I love. I also have been called to an area where many loved ones live, even a few cute nieces and nephews to give me my kid fix.
I was prepared to be miserable but I'm happier than I've ever been. The work that I do is a tiny, tiny contribution to the great work of the Church. Maybe less contribution than what I've done in the past, but it is incredibly satisfying. The Campus we occupy is basically the blocks around Temple Square in Salt Lake City. This is sacred ground and it is a thrill to walk these paths and feel the Spirit every day.
I wanted the Lord to be grateful for our service, but I can see He just wanted to bless us. Again!
As always we are destined to be (happily) unprofitable servants.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're having too much fun! Can we come & play with you?

    ReplyDelete