Monday, November 2, 2009



I never faced a new or difficult situation in my childhood without my Mom reminding me, "The hard is the good." It sounded like hogwash to me. Hard was bad by definition! Easy was good. Familiar was good. Fun was good. Over the years I began to understand what she meant. The best things in life require effort. They often require leaving our comfort zones. The best things sometimes demand an extraordinary sacrifice from us.
Each day as I bask in the incredible Spirt that surrounds the Family History Library, I am reminded that this mission is indeed one of the best things. And yes, it is hard! My brain feels ready to explode with all the things I'm needing to learn. So Mom was right.

Saturday my 91 year old mom went riding with me through a lovely wilderness area. It wasn't easy for her. She hasn't really been a horsewoman for many, many years. But as if to reaffirm her testimony that the hard is often the good, she rode with me, enjoying nature, the rare sunshine and the beauty of God's Earth.

1 comment:

  1. I've always considered your mom a wise & brave woman! I love seeing her on a horse!! Thanks for sharing your thoughts & experiences :) We love you!

    ReplyDelete