Sunday, October 10, 2010

Judge not

I had an interesting experience last week that I am a little ashamed of, but decided to share anyway.  Working on the patron floor of the library I was approached by a man who needed help.  He was dumpy, unshaved, had limp straggly hair and an ill fitting coat.  I didn't realize that I had been prejudging him until I worked with him a while, and realized that he was well off, intelligent, articulate, and deeply spiritual.  I know I had prejudged him because each of these revelations came as a big surprise.  Based on nothing more than his physical appearance I had already decided that he was poor, ignorant, and worldly.  Without a conscious thought I had judged him completely wrong.
I know it is impossible to go through this life without discerning, without judgement of some kind.  It is desirable and even necessary for our success in every thing we do.  However, we (especially I) need to be careful that our judgements are not superficial, unfair, and careless.  Every person we meet is a child of God.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if before we judge we could see each soul as God sees him.  To see the love and potential within before we judge what is visible.

No comments:

Post a Comment